11.28.2005

goodbye, Mr. Miyagi

It's always strange to me when I hear about a celebrity that has passed away that I feel overly sad that they're gone. I never knew Pat Morita, I have no idea if he was a good person or a selfish jerk. But, I liked Mr. Miyagi, and I hope that Pat Morita had some of the characteristics of the character he portrayed.

There are many pithy words of wisdom that could be quoted, but the one that I've always remembered comes from the worst of the Karate Kid movies, ("The Next Karate Kid", with Hilary Swank playing the lead. Believe me when I tell you the movie sucked.)

No matter how bad the movie was, Mr. Miyagi came through with a profound little nugget that we should all ponder:

"Never trust a holy man who doesn't dance."


Amen. Rest in peace, Pat.

No comments: