6.18.2008

quotes

When I used to carry around my palm pilot all the time, I had a little memo where I archived quotes or phrases that I heard/read that I liked. Sometimes these morphed into songs. ("For my part, I know nothing with any certainty. But the sight of the stars makes me dream..."-Vincent Van Goh found on a card at Barnes and Noble. Word-for-word the bridge of World Around Me.) Other times I just look at them and enjoy them again.

Tonight I re-installed my palm software and copied a bunch of song ideas/lines into my songwriting software. I also found my little list of quotes and thought I'd share some.

  • Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...it has no survival value; rather, it is one of those things that gives value to survival. -C.S. Lewis
  • I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe ever I deserved my friends. -Walt Whitman
  • Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. -Howard Aiken
  • The truth should have no occasion to shout. -unknown
I think about that first C.S. Lewis quote all time in reference to all sorts of things.

All of this to say that my biggest goal for my first 3 weeks of summer was to write songs. I'm currently 3 songs behind... But I did come up with something promising tonight.

My sister will be proud that I'm currently reading Rendezvous with Rama. I also found Everything Must Change by McLaren at the library and have been reading it in tiny chunks during my daily , (ahem), constitutional. I'm finding myself much more interested than I've yet to be about his last book, The Secret Message of Jesus.

No comments: