11.09.2004

la la land

In just a couple of days, I'm going to be flying out to LA for a music/networking convention. I was planning to go with a friend who is also a musician/songwriter, but now it's looking like he can't go because of family issues.

As much as I was looking forward to experiencing this with my friend, I recognize the fact that I'll be traveling and attending by myself could mean additional opportunity for personal growth and networking.

So much of the music industry in general, and this convention specifically, focuses on networking. Who you know and can interest in whatever it is you're doing has so much to do with getting help in getting your stuff out there. If my friend went with me (and I still hope that he might get to) it would be very easy for us to interact with each other. Like anybody else, this is would be the natural, easier, mode of behavior.

If he can't go, I'll be on my own. I don't know anybody that will be there. The thing that I need to keep in mind is that I will probably not have any contact with anybody out there ever again unless I make those connections. What's there to be afraid of? I don't know them. They don't know me. Who cares what they might think? And wouldn't making some kind of impression be better than making no impression at all?

I know a couple of people in my life, who just naturally charm anybody and everybody they come in contact with. And I know that there are some times when I have had that particular spark. The problem is that when I have had it, it was accidental. I can't or don't simply turn it on like a couple of people I know. That would be helpful this weekend.

No comments: