11.24.2004

shack in la la land

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was a little freaked out about going to this conference by myself. The main thing was that I was trying to bolster myself so as not to be afraid of life.

I now realize that I was worried about being afraid of life because I thought this particular conference was small. For some reason, I had in my mind that there would only be 500 people there tops. It turns out there were more like 3,000. In which case, nobody particularly stood out and I didn't feel the pressure to be any more outgoing or personable or impressive than I normally am anyway.

As far as my trip went: I'm really glad that I did it, and I hope to scrape together the money to pay for the plane ticket and hotel room again next year. It did what I had hoped in motivating me to get my act together and get busy writing and being the artist that I think I'm supposed to be. It also sparked some new ideas of how I should tackle the whole marketing aspect of being a performing songwriter that I hope to implement. More than anything, I'm just hoping to do all the things I'm doing, but do them much better. A few potentially key contacts were made and as to whether those contacts actually help me remains to be seen. For now, I think I just need to do whatever I have to do to make myself be more productive. ( i.e. write more....)

The only thing that I feel kind of weird about is that I didn't really do anything outside of the hotel. I know there was at least one show that I would have liked to see while I was out there, and the fact that i was so close to the beach and didn't make it makes me sad. However, I didn't transportation or extra money to provide transportation and honestly the conference had plenty going on to keep my schedule filled. Maybe next time.

Since getting home I've been enjoying:

-Watching the 3rd Season of Six Feet Under
-Trying to finish Book 4 of the Dark Tower Series
-Anticipating and buying U2's new CD last night at midnight at Hastings. They had free pizza!

In case I don't blog again for awhile, I hope that you all have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving. I pray that we would all learn to be more thankful for what we have.


No comments: