8.05.2007

God Bless Brian McLaren

I thank God for Brian McLaren all the time. I wish that he would have been far enough along on his journey to have already shared his ideas by the early-mid 90's. I wish that I would have been smart/mature enough to start asking those questions by that time instead of really running into them in the late '90s early '00s. If I would have asked those questions sooner, and he would have provided this new way of thinking sooner in my life, I can think of many conversations that would have gone very differently and I would carry way less regret for those same conversations.

I get sick to death of people trying to impress me with how "deeply" and "pervasively" they think about, read about, debate about, expound about theology. Frankly, it seems like a waste of time and energy and I really wonder if that's really what God wants from any of us. I'm pretty sure it's NOT what he wants from me. (he might want a little more of my consideration, I'm just saying...)

But, McLaren frames this whole life of faith in language I understand and agree with. I know that I shouldn't read only one person and should expose myself to other people that would challenge my thinking, but the fact of the matter is that McLaren does challenge me in the ways that I want to be challenged.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

It may be the way you want to be challenged, but is it the way God wants you challenged? Just curious.

shack said...

I am convinced that God would want me challenged to be less concerned with who I might think might be or might not be "saved" and more challenged to be an actual agent of grace, mercy, and charity (love) in the world that I live.

Anonymous said...

Point Taken. I agree that it is not our concern who we "think" is or isn't, but that care for others in love.