7.04.2005

Brian McLaren and realizing how Franky Shaeffer has influenced my life.

I found another article about McLaren. Believe it or not, I still think he's got good things to say.

Saturday night I was so tired that I couldn't keep my eyes open as I was reading Faulkner in bed. As soon as I turned out the light, I was wide awake. This happens to me sometimes when I've got something weighing on my mind. The weird thing is that the other night, I really didn't have anything tumbling around, I just couldn't fall asleep. It was so frustrating. So, I rolled around for a couple hours, and then I thought that I could go read something like C. S. Lewis (which makes my brain hurt which makes me sleepy) and I could fall asleep.

That may have worked, but when I went to get some Lewis, I picked up a book by Franky (son of Francis) Schaeffer, instead. I know that I read his previous book, Addicted to Mediocrity, for a class in college. I also remember that I liked it so much, I read Sham Pearls before Real Swine, but the could have been 10 years ago or more. Anyway, I picked up Sham Pearls and read for like 3 hours.

I so needed to read that. I hadn't realized how much Franky had influenced my personal philosophy of the relationships between art, christianity, and commerce. It was like reading my own manifesto.

At the time, Franky was a film maker trying to do good work, build up his resume and hoping for the opportunities to work on bigger and better projects. His frustrations with small-minded, ignorant christians, cherishing of small successes, and struggles to make some kind of living with his art uncannily mirrors my life.

Obviously, when I read that book 10-some years ago, I picked up lots of his philosophy. When I read the other night, I received some needed encouragement and some tools to deal.

Now, if I would have just got some sleep...

No comments: