7.28.2005

The Choir- O How The Mighty Have Fallen

Wow. I can't stop listening to this CD. These guys have been in the Christian music biz since the early 80's. They've never been "at the top" like Amy Grant or Steven Curtis Chapman or Michael W. Smith. But, they are real and honest and creative, which is more than I can say for most of the drivel found in Christian music imho. The fact is that I haven't listened to anything out of CCM in quite some time.

(except to find new songs to use at church and the portico and the fact that Ronnie, the guy I help move pianos, always has his radio on the CCM station in the truck. This is easily my biggest complaint about the job...)

Now, (because of moving pianos), I'm getting exposed to this stuff and I honestly think it's worse than I feared. Of course, I don't have to worry about the Choir being played on there, even though they were some of the folks that started the whole thing...

Anyway, I wasn't writing this blog to bitch about CCM. I just wanted to say that the Choir are and remain all of the things that I love about music and songwriting and yet practice their art within the confines of the CCM industry. Thus proving that it can be done. Of course, it also begs the question: Why can't anybody else in CCM figure it out?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need to check out the choir i think.

Anonymous said...

b/c the standards are low. and like most pop music, very few people are out there for the artistry.

What kills me is that there are a lot of CCM song on the radio right now that have some really cool lines/intros/verses. And then they ruin it w/ a completely easy/cliche chorus (or next line; or by the fact that they start singing).

Rant over.