7.19.2005

trilogy

I know, it's been awhile. I don't know why, but it just seems like I haven't had a chance to breathe lately.

I mentioned Franky Schaeffer in my last blog, and in reading Sham Pearls I got curious about what Frank has been up to. By googling, I found his web-site and was pleasantly surprised to find out that he'd written two sequals to a novel that Holly and I had both read and enjoyed a number of years ago.

Portofino is about a family of missionaries to Switzerland and their yearly vacation to Portofino, Italy. The main protagonist is the youngest son, Calvin. I borrowed the book from the library back when we lived in Manhattan, and enjoyed it so much that I made Holly read it and she liked it to.

Well, when I found out there were two more books, I got on half.com and ordered the complete trilogy right away. Portofino got here first, which was good because I wanted to read it again before I dove into the others.

Wow! I enjoyed it so much the 2nd time. It's funny and touching and honest and completely engaging.

I just finished the 2nd book, Zermatt, and was a little disappointed with some repetition early on, found pure reading gold about 3/4 through and then was horribly disappointed by the ending! As elated as I was with some of the story 3/4 in, the ending really made me angry. Because of all this, I started the 3rd book right away in hopes that it would resolve the some of the things that pissed me off so badly.

Anyway, follow the link above. Great summer reading novels for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you'll be finished with them by the time i see you again, i'll just borrow them ;,)
BLA