2.25.2007

Bridge to Terabithia

On Friday, while subbing, I found the teacher's multiple copies of The Bridge to Terabithia. Since the students I subbed for had their assignment for the day, and my job was just to make sure that they did it, I was lucky enough read TBTT again.

I think I just read the the made-for-TV movie of TBTT came out in 1985. That means I would have been about 14 when I saw that on PBS with my family and consequently read the book the first time.

The trailers that I've seen for the new movie have really been bugging me simply because the book is not all about the fantastic adventures of the main characters in their imagined land of Terebithia, but about what happens to them in real life. However, from the reviews I've read of the film, it seems like I might be having a lot more problems with the marketing of the movie (and trying to sell it as some kind of Narnian adventure) than I may have if I actually see it.

I really enjoyed reading it again. Along with new movie and renewed interest in the book, I found out that the author, Katherine Patterson, is a Christian. With this new knowledge and hopefully a more mature personal faith discerning the value of this book, I was truly touched, inspired and dare I say blessed by some of the words I found. Particularly in reference to faith and its discussion in the book.

Fast forward to this evening and my reading of a review of the movie by a certain Christian online magazine. I haven't linked to the review and am not going to mention it because the whole thing is worthless drek and I don't want anybody to read it because of me. Why do other Christians provoke more profanity in my head than other people?

While this reviewer gives a relatively positiver review of the movie, can't get over the "careless at best" handling of a discussion in the movie about who's going to end up "damned to hell".

I know that when I read this book when I was young, I had much the same reservations as the reviewer. Of course, now I think that I had those reservations because I was well-versed in the ignorant pride that this teaching flows from. That seems to me one of the most evil.

Ugh. Sometimes my un-practiced writing drives me crazy because i can't seem to get out what I'm trying to say. (Languisher, will you re-teach me how to write?)

I'm trying to say all these things without giving away anything in the movie or the book. All I can say is that if anybody ever tries to say who is going to hell and who is not (other than him/herself), they are wrong. Because they truly don't know. And the utter presumption drives me crazy.

Matthew 7: 15-23 A Tree and Its Fruit
15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That passage from Matthew has always been very interesting and powerful and even a little troubling to me. Notice that the people being cast out of God's presence and presumably into hell are not some hard living, worldly "sinners," but rather people who have done really religious (even intensely Christian) things like driving out demons and performing miracles in Jesus name and prophesying. Big stuff! Christian stuff! Impressive stuff done in Jesus' name! But he says, "I never knew you," and tosses them out. At the very least, it tells us that one can be intensely Christian in speech, activity, outward appearance and language without actually even knowing Him or being known by Him. Remember, Jesus also told the intensely religious Pharisees, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you" (Matthew 21:32). Some righteous church going folks might be surprised to see who gets into heaven and who doesn't.

--jeffy milly