2.03.2007

Two crazy things today....

First, I was driving to the library in Fayetteville. Because we just came through an Arkansas blizzard and it's still been horribly cold and they're still saying that side streets can be messy and frankly; Arkansas drivers are either idiots or maniacs when it comes to bad weather conditions, I decided to take the bypass and get off at the 6th street exit.

First, I notice lots of people on foot. Then I think, "Wow, lots of people must have been tired of being cooped up in their houses for the last few days, because this traffic is crazy!" Then it dawns on me and I have to call mr. powers to confirm my suspicion: the Hogs have a basketball game today. This would make obvious indicator #1 of how NOT a sports fan I am.

Obvious indicator #2:

After the library, I go to the cobbler to pick up a purse that Holly was having repaired only to find the cobbler is close on Sat. and Sun. So, I decide to walk across a couple of parking lots to get to the only IGA I know of in NW Ar. to see if they have the Lime tortilla chips way had for my mom's b-day weekend. (They still should not be the main chips...)

So, I'm walking across the parking lot of a Rent-a-Center and I see not 1, not 2, but 3 big screen TVs being loaded into the back of 3 different pickups. What the? Oh ya. Tomorrow's the Super Bowl.

I'm sorry. This is a subject for another blog. But, for the life of me I can't figure out why so much money and so much energy is expended on sports when arts and music programs seem to be in constant jeopardy. Is that what we want our culture to be known for? Our love of sports?

I'll probably go to the party tomorrow. But I'm being completely serious in that I don't even know who's playing. I'm sure I've heard, I just don't care enough to remember. But hopefully there will be some good nachos at the party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look at it this way, the Super Bowl contains both arts and music, for none other than Prince will be performing the half time party! And he, as you well know, is the ARTIST formerly known as the ARTIST formerly known as Prince. Artist! That's art right there! See, sports, art, music, and, oh yes, commercials, all crammed into one four hour block of chewy all American deliciousness.


--Cakey