5.16.2005

two books and a movie

So, last week I was at the library and found the brand new installment of Orson Scott Card's Ender Saga called Shadow of the Giant.

Now, I don't care who you are or if you are a SciFi fan or not, Card's novel, Enders Game, is simply fantastic. I know plenty of people who won't read it simply because it's scifi, in fact, if I hadn't been told that it was good and I'd just seen the cover, I would never have picked it up. I'm telling you, it's incredible. Now, there are 3 sequals to Enders Game, that are not nearly as great. However, Card published another book called, Ender's Shadow, which is set in the same time and place as Enders game, but focusing on a different character. As much as it sounds like he was just trying to make a big hit with the same formula, it's pretty great, too. Unfortunately, its (now 3) sequals don't really stand up either. However, I decided to give the newest one, Shadow of the Giant, a chance and I keep picking it back up so far.

Today, I was at the library returning some DVDs that Holly had checked out and ran across a special table of biographies that they'd set up. On a whim, I checked the computer to see if they had the brand new book that's all interview of Bono. I couldn't believe it, but the computer said they had it and that it was even checked in.

So, I looked and looked. Then I got a helpful library person to help me look and look. She was able to tell me that the book was brand new, had just been processed as of about 30 minutes earlier and that I would be the first to check it out. Unfortunately, nobody could find it. So, when it turns up, I have it on hold.

I'm also hoping to get my hands on Brian McLaren's new book, The Last Word and the Word after That, in the not too distant future.

Of course, reading is kind of secondary to the fact that I'll be watching Revenge of the Sith for the first time in roughly 50 hours...have I mentioned that I already have my ticket?

No comments: