5.24.2004

church

I haven't gone to bed yet, so it's still Sunday. It feels like it's been a long day for me at church. I'll also be honest in that I get really sick of church; even when there are people honestly trying to make it something significant. I just have the hardest time shaking the feeling that it doesn't seem to do much. Is that just me?

I went to see Patty Griffin saturday night. It was moving and inspiring. It was a large group of people that knew nothing about each other and may not have had anything in common other than the fact that Patty spoke us and moved us and she really didn't talk very much at all.

I was at Christian Concert a few weeks ago that was a much bigger production. Way More sound, more lights, bigger/crazier crowd. The band was made up of very accomplished musicians that played very well. They played lots of songs that everybody knew the words for, and if you didn't know the words, they even had them shining up on a screen so you could sing along. It really made me sick to my stomach.

I'm a big fan of Patty, but I don't tend to learn lyrics like I used to, so I didn't sing along very much. It was like most concerts in that it was kind of difficult to even understand all the words, but it moved me. I had tears in my eyes a couple of times and I know that holly was moved to tears at least once.

I do believe in the things that would be considered required belief in order to call oneself a question. At leat, I believe in the things that I think are required. How can I be so far removed from the people at that concert? How could they not be in love with Patty Griffin like I am?

How come I see more of God in a Patty Griffin concert than in a specifically Christian concert? And why is it so disheartening to me that I see so little of God in the concert that everybody else sees God so easily?

No comments: