5.19.2004

Jake's Blog

Jake beat me to the punch again. Not only is he being much more productive with his blog, but he's now writing interesting things that I'm thinking before I even realized I was thinking them.

I know that sounds convenient (him saying something interesting...oh yea, that's what I was thinking!) but it's true.

I wrote about a paragraph of a blog a little bit ago and then scrapped it because I was afraid of who might read it and what they might think. I decided to check out jake's blog, and he was basically talking about his own self-editing. See, he wrote it before I knew I was thinking it.

So, what is this blogging supposed to be? This blog that you're reading is hooked to my web-site that's purpose is to promote myself as a singer/songwriter. That means that I'm hoping to have people be curious enough about me and my music to want to read these random/ridiculous thoughts that I'm typing at my computer. The idea is that you, dear reader, will get to know and (more importantly) like me enough that you'll be a fan of me and my musical career.

Of course, now the question is what if you don't like me? what if you don't like something I say? What if you simply don't like my sentence structure? What if you thought that you knew and liked me and you started reading this blog and realized that I'm not the person that you thought I am. Or I don't believe what you thought I'd believe. And now, where once was a fan, now there is none.

I don't know if I can or even should try to accomodate. I can only be who I am. And if I'm trying to edit myself for the sake of not offending anyone, than am I being myself or a lame representation of who I think you want me to be? Not to mention the fact that not only can I not be what everybody wants me to be, I definately can't pretend to be everything everybody wants me to be. (I was just typing this and it popped into my head that it would be incredibly difficult to be a politician.)

For some people that may read this, I worry to let on that I am a Christian. To know this fact, carries a lot of baggage for a lot of people. To know that, many people assume they already know what I think and feel about many different issues. I don't think that's the case. In fact...

Some people may read this that know me as a Christian and may even know me as a christian singer/songwriter. And for those people, I'm afraid to let them know that I am trying as hard as I can to lose that classification. I just want to be a singer/songwriter who happens to believe in Jesus. For that matter, I fear to let on about many of the things that I do believe and don't believe that would cause many in the Christian camp to assume that I must be "backsliding".

(sigh) I want this blog to be honest. Don't assume you know what I think about a given issue. Give me a chance to let it out of the can on my own. We might not agree. I'm cool with that. That doesn't mean we can't be friends.

Of course, my mom might be the only person out in cyber-space reading this and she has to like me no matter what.

No comments: