5.09.2004

For as long as I can remember, I've always been fascinated with sibling relationships. I don't know what it's like to have a brother or an older sister or a twin. I don't know what it's like to have a sibling who is closer in age to me than 4 years younger or more than 4 years younger. I don't know what it's like to have an older sibling at all. Why do some siblings love each other with others can't stand each other? Why do some siblings tolerate each other but harbor resentment and play mind games for years and years?

Whenever I meet somebody for the first time, if I visit with them very long at all, I usually get to questions of siblings. I'm not sure why.

I have a sister that is 4 years younger than me and I love her. I remember the day that mom and my new baby sister were coming home from the hospital. I remember getting picked up from the baby-sitter's and noticing what a bright, sunny day it was with a big blue sky filled with billowy, humongous white clouds. I had been 4 for less than a month.

I remember growing up and people giving my parents a hard time because C and I didn't really fight with each other that much. I think we actually kind of liked each other for the most part. I'm sure we didn't love each other all the time, but I think we got along pretty well.

Everything changed when I hit Jr. High. Apparently, I became a devout victim of the egocentricity that affects many adolescents. For the life me, I can hardly remember anything about my little sister from the time I hit 7th grade until I was at least a freshman in college. It makes me sad, because I think she's such a cool person now, I think it would have been good to know her then.

As we've gotten older, I like her more and more. We don't agree on everything and we disagree on some things very passionately. But, I like spending time with her so much. She makes me laugh a lot and she challenges me like few other people do. And the coolest thing is that when we don't agree, we usually argue for awhile, but eventually just shrug it off and go find something fun to do.

Any day now, I'm going to be getting the word from her that I'm to drop the master copy of her new CD in the mail to the duplication company. I'm so excited about it because 1) I think it's really good 2) I got to be a part of making this project with her. Not only did I record and mix the CD, but I've even got co-writing credit on a couple of the songs.

Be on the lookout for it. It rocks.

www.celiaisrock.com

No comments: