5.26.2004

pukey petey

Holly and I have had petey the weiner dog for nearly 10 years now. About 4-5 years ago, he started vomiting all the time. We took him to the vet and kept taking him. After about 4 months, and petey almost dieing, we finally determined that he has a very bad case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome in his small intestines. Add to that, that it's triggered by his allergies to just about anything and everything he might eat. We have to buy this super-special food where the molecules are of food are broken down so much that his body can't tell that it's something that he should be allergic to. Add to that the fact that petey is pretty much obsessive-compulsive about licking; the carpet, the floor, the couch, it doesn't matter. Most of the time he's licking, which means ingesting who knows what, which means his insides get messed up, which means he pukes. With great regularity. I hate it.

Our carpet is ruined and I feel like I smell puke all the time. Just when I think, "He can't be having a happy life. He pukes all the time. Should we think about putting him to sleep?" He has a good day, with no puke. And even on the days when he does puke, he's really happy and friendly and likable dog. He definately doesn't seemed bother by the puking as much as I am.

So, it's a constant state of frustration. Then, today, he got out of the back yard. I was gone for like an hour and a half when I left him in the backyard. I had no idea where to find him. I was stressed. Holly was stressed. As much as part of me was thinking, "Hey, I might not have to worry about any more puke!" The other part of me was so worried and so scared that something might happen to him. What if he got hit by a car? What if somebody thought he was cute and picked him up and took him home? What happens when he pukes all over their stuff? What are they going to do to/with him? If they took him in the first place, do you think they'd bring him back?

I girl from down the street brought him home. He was sitting on their porch whining. I guess I'll clean up puke tonight.

No comments: